Fasching celebrations in downtown Marienplatz. Munich's answer to Carnival or Mardi Gras (more New Orleans, less Sydney). There are stages with DJ's and live music, food and drink and the citizens of Munich turn out in fancy dress to party and see in the start of Lent. Most people are allowed the afternoon off work (or if you were as lucky as Dave, the whole day!) and shops close early so nobody misses out. With the exception of Oktoberfest, I've never seen so many Germans, letting loose and living it up. I just wish our photos could do the celebration justice!
xxx
8 comments:
it looks fabulously colourful!!
xo em
Ahh, Fasching! I have a lovely confetti on the streets picture like that from my Fasching experience in Munchen years ago. I had so much fun that day (I was living in Salzburg at the time and took the train to Munchen just for a day to check out the festivities).
Glad to see you posting some photos of my favorite city again, I was starting to go through withdrawal here! ;)
S.
The pictures are great Bianca – I love the confetti one and the weird clown thing at the top – but nothing beat little Abominable Snowman Elke!
Her little boots are unreal!
Hope you're guys had a good day out. xx
Elke is gorgeous in that jacket and boot combo - looks like a fun day!
I can't get over that photo of Elke in her snowsuit!!! Hilaire. Kellie xx
Elke is looking very circa 1964 in that picture. She should be appearing alongside Sean Connery and speaking with a husky Russian accent...xx
And Dave. Awesome awesome trousers. Can you please email Ben and tell him that colourful legs are the way forward. I'm having trouble persuading him.
ps. emailing you NOW!!
Fun, I have always wanted to go to fasching. I remember my flatmate put together a crazy fancy dress to go to it when I lived in Frankfurt.
So lovely to check in and see some pics of Fasching - homesickness alert!!!
Post a Comment